Author Topic: Greatest Team in the last 60 years  (Read 9241 times)

garza

• View Profile
Greatest Team in the last 60 years
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:24:06 AM »
1B
Albert Pujols

2B
Joe Morgan

SS
Cal Ripken

3B
Mike Schmidt

OF
Barry Bonds

Hank Aaron

Willie Mays

C
Jonny Bench

Bench

OF
Ken Griffey JR
Ricky Henderson

IF
Eddie Murray
Alex Rodriguez (Mariners)
Wade Boggs

C
Pudge

dpatera

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Greatest Team in the last 60 years
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »
I like that you only mention Seattle's A-Rod. 

I'd have to think about this list for awhile.  I don't know that I'd agree with Ripken.  I think his streak gets him a lot of extra points from people.  He was very good, but I don't think I'd go so far as best. 

Eddie Murray is an interesting choice, too.  I get the feeling he's almost lost in the shuffle between eras.  I tend to think of him as someone who was outstanding for the first half of his career, but after that he was just very good, but not a superstar anymore.  He was an All Star in 7 of his first 10 years, and perennially in the MVP discussion, but after that, he only made one more All Star appearance.  Before looking him up, I would have sworn to you he retired around 1991 (he actually played until 1997). 

There are a lot of current players that I would include in the discussion, like Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Caberea, but it seems that they haven't been playing long enough to put them among the "best". 

garza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Well I started to put ARod ahead of Ripkin but thought i would get a lot of arguments against it. However ARod prior to the Yankees was the best SS in the game. I personally do not like Ripkin but I do respect him and what he did as a SS. I think Miggy will take over Pujos because I think it will come out that he took steroids, just saying.....

dpatera

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
You don't really have anyone on the bench who could play second base, either (unless you're counting Pudge's couple of appearances).  I might start Sandberg and have either Alomar or Whitaker on the bench for that. 

tdh004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
Not a bad list. I would have been more likely to include Ozzie Smith at shortstop, and I don't know that I would call Pujols the best ever 1st basemen.  He's obviously a genius at the plate with out any steroid strikes against him, and his fielding has never been called into question, but I think I would have deferred to a few others over him.