Author Topic: Realignment  (Read 4036 times)

garza

• View Profile
Realignment
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:53:39 AM »
The NHL has an opportunity to fix the NHL with realignment, they way I would do it is go back to the Campbel and Wales Conferences and split the teams up like MLB does with NL and AL and have every team get atleast 1 home and home series. This is how I would do it:

Campbell

Detroit
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Washington
Boston
Montreal
San Jose
Edmonton
Phoenix
Minnesota
Columbus
LA
Dallas
Islanders
Florida

Wales
Tampa Bay
Chicago
Rangers
St Louis
Carolina
Nashville
Colorado
Philly
Buffalo
Ottawa
Winnapeg
NJ
Vancover
Anaehiem
Calgary
Phoenix

dpatera

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Realignment
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:13:44 AM »
I'm not sure what you're going for there, since it's not really geographical, or really based on the old conferences either.  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see the conference names return.  Bettman doesn't like the history of the game, so he tends to shun it.

About the only real sin I see in your lineup is that I don't think the Wings and Chicago should be split. 

garza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:16:05 AM »
It creates parody and balances out the teams, Chicago is only a good team to play because they are so close.... Ideally the NHL should get rid of about 6 teams, but that won't happen.

dpatera

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:35:59 AM »
It's not only location of Chicago, it's a long time rivalry.  It's not the same level as Detroit/Toronto, but it's still a big rivalry.  No matter what Bettman thinks, you can't force a rivalry on the fans.  He tried with that silly unbalanced schedule, but it just makes you bored with some teams, rather than hating them.

The Wing's rivalry with Colorado was mostly organic from a rough few games.  It has to just happen, you can't just tell someone who your new rival is. 

I'm not as concerned about Original Six teams as a lot of people, because I don't think all those rivalries are really still there.  I do think it's horrible that Detroit and Toronto do not at least have one home and home series per year.